The Food Pyramid
The Food Pyramid is designed to make healthy eating easier. Healthy eating is about getting the correct amount of nutrients – protein, fat, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals you need to maintain good health.
Foods that contain the same type of nutrients are grouped together on each of the shelves of the Food Pyramid. This gives you a choice of different foods from which to choose a healthy diet. Following the Food Pyramid as a guide will help you get the right balance of nutritious foods within your calorie range. Studies show that we take in too many calories from foods and drinks high in fat, sugar and salt, on the top shelf of the Food Pyramid. They provide very little of the essential vitamins and minerals your body needs. Limiting these is essential for healthy eating.
- Choose wholegrain bread, cereals, rice and pasta
- Choose at least 5 portions of vegetables and fruits every day
- Aim for 3 to 5 portions of low fat milk, cheese or yoghurt every day
- Choose lean meat, chicken, fish or eggs
- Use oil and butter sparingly
- Limit sweets, cakes, desserts or fizzy drinks to only sometimes, not daily